Thursday, March 8, 2007

Look who's talking!


Recently I've noticed much commotion on a hot topic called "Signing". I don't know if this is new or if it has been around for a while and has now just become mainstream. I admit the idea of talking to Jade before she can speak has me intrigued. Hey, anything that keeps the tantrums and frustration to a minimum is a BIG bonus to me and God knows we'll have enough to deal with when we come home. I also thought that it would be worthwhile to post about this for those mommies that will return from China with a toddler who can speak Mandarin but Mommy can't - yikes!! (Do you hear me Carolyn?!) Some of you may be familiar with this concept so if you are and you know some good books or just want to give me your opinion please comment.

I've been reading up on the subject and here is what I've learned so far;

The crux of signing is communication (I know you've already figured that one out!). Through signing you will be able to figure out what she wants, needs, sees and even remembers. Babies develop their body muscles LONG before they can speak and they LOVE to mimic so doesn't it make sense to avail of this "communication"? I also look at it as a great way to further that bonding and attachment.
Perhaps this should be included in the PRIDE discussions.... hmm.. if I ever get a chance to serve on one of those panels......

So far so good, now, how and where would I start? I read some more and learned that it was easy; all you needed to do was begin with the basics. The basic signs revolve around 'needs' (makes sense doesn't it) so you have a sign for milk, eat, drink, more, hot, cold, diaper (I guess that means she'll tell you she needs a new one), help, sleep, Mommy and Daddy. (one sign we've all been taught is to wave bye-bye - see you can do it!)

Start with one sign and show them the sign during the activity, for example feeding time. You then continue to use the sign before and after the activity and continue to show the baby the sign every time the activity is repeated. The key, is repetition and consistancy. Remember that they are babies and some will grasp the concept much quicker than others. It is important that when they do get the hang of it to be outwardly excited and full of praise.

As you and the baby become comfortable you'll add more signs thus increasing vocabulary, bonding and communication. (I would continue to use the signs until Jade could talk).

I'm going to research this further and see if I can come up with some books etc. so I'll post what I find.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

I have been looking into baby signing, since God knows my Mandarin is not going to be up to scratch for a 3 year old- lol!
One Mom, though, told me that you don't want to encourage it so much that it becomes easier to use signs than for your child to use the english words! But, I think it might be really helpful early on to reduce frustration for everyone.