Thursday, February 1, 2007

Why butterflies and ladybugs?





When trying to decide what to call Jade's blog I thought long and hard. I considered calling the blog China Jade, Precious Jade, the ever popular Journey to Jade and Bringing Jade home but none of these 'quite fit'. I'm a believer of trying to keep ties with China if at all possible so it seemed natural that I choose something along those lines hence ladybugs and butterflies. I think the ladybug part is self explanatory but for those of you that are just beginning a China journey of your own or those of you who are not familiar with Chinese symbolism etc. I'll fill you in. Ladybugs in China symbolize good luck. As far as I'm concerned individuals going through the 'adoption process' need as much good luck as possible! I also like to think that Jade will have as much good luck as she can handle after all, a wee little thing who has gone through so much upset and turmoil in the short span of life deserves it. So, bring on the good luck till my cup runneth over! Many expectant parents will often keep on the look out for lady bug sightings as well. Every time one is sighted the adoption circles wait in anticipation because more often than not those precious referrals come soon after and who in their right mind would not like to associate those lucky little lady bugs with that? I've come to look at the ladybugs as the Chinese version of the stork.

Now, butterfly symbolism on the other hand, may not be as widely known. In China, butterflies symbolize all sorts of things. They symbolize love, long life, beauty, joy and my personal favorite, new beginnings. It is believed in China that if you see a butterfly that has landed on a plum blossom you will be granted long life. If paired with a cat (for instance on a piece of jewelry) it symbolizes that you will live 70 to 90 years. If a butterfly settles on you the Chinese believe that you are being blessed. When you see two butterflies dancing in the air entwined, it is believed to symbolize a loving couple. (Chinese folk stories often call these couples 'Butterfly Lovers'). Since butterflies are entwined with love, it is quite common for Chinese people to give brides and grooms items with butterflies on them as wedding gifts. Lastly, during the Qing dynasty it was common to see the cuffs of silk robes of the Empress embroidered with dancing butterflies.

One of my any wishes and hopes for Jade is that throughout her life she will be blessed, loved, have and see beauty, live a long life and experience as much joy as possible. (the good luck part is a given) As I said before butterflies symbolize new beginnings and that is what this WHOLE journey for us and Jade is about. A new beginning as a family. That is why I chose to name Jade's blog butterflies and ladybugs.

1 comment:

Sue Ralph said...

Beautiful reading; what could be more beautiful than butterflies and ladybugs; ladybugs will always remind me of my wedding; the church window in the area where I was waiting to come down the aisle was full of ladybugs and the reverend had us move into the next entrance; not sure if you ever knew that.

Love Sue