Monday, April 30, 2007

A glimmer of hope and my cup runn'th over with rumours

No, it can't be. It just can't be! Is that a little ray of light I see peeking through? Please tell me it is and that my eyes aren't deceiving me. I've been in this dreary fog for so long that I'm weary; I'm used to being in the dark.

O.k. enough with the metaphors. Today I learned that the CCAA has managed to match 5 whole days of files during April. This deserves a big woo hoo for it means that October 2005 is finally finished! There were earlier predictions that the CCAA would take up to 3 more months to match the remaining 5 days in October 2005. This is big news because the last 5 days of October 2005 were huge in terms of the # of files logged in. Sadly, no word on how far the CCAA is in the review room but at least I know 2006 files are in there. I hope this means a pick up in referrals in the coming months.

Now, on to the latest rumours. There are some floating about that the word has come down to the CCAA to clear up the back log of files ASAP.(numbers of between 25,000 -30, 000) This is wonderful if true; hopefully we'll get to China before 2010 as predicted. (I shudder every time I hear that number) I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

There is another rumour as well. Many believe that the China Adoption program has begun to shift gears so to speak; THEY say we are witnessing the phasing out of IA (international Adoption) for NSN (non-special needs children) and seeing a focus on IA for SN (special needs children) instead. THEY say that SN will be the only children available for the IA program in the future and all of the NSN children will be filtered into the domestic program. I have to agree that this seems to be the case.

Another rumour is only confirming what I have said for years. Some believe that China is beginning to wean itself away from the IA program altogether. There was an article in this past weekend's Globe and Mail discussing China and the use of ultrasounds to determine the sex of a child. In China, ultrasounds are illegal but many people still use them without the Govt's knowledge. If they find that they are carrying a girl they often abort the baby regardless of the trimester. While this article does not mention IA it leaves the reader wondering how much longer IA will continue in China. This is closely tied with the 1 child policy in China. This policy will stay in affect until 2015 when it will then need to be renewed. The question is with the CCAA's new emphasis on domestic adoption and increasing economic growth will 2015 signify the end of IA adoption in China? Really, it is anyone's guess what China will do but my gut instinct tells me that "the hubby" and I will be one of the last lucky few who will get the honour and pleasure of bringing home their china doll. By the end of 8 years the China program could be slim to none for IA. The rumour is that Africa (thanks to Angelina and Madonna?) will be the new China in terms of IA. Who knows. Again, wait and see.

The China program has been a wonderful program in the past and any mention of the program closing leaves me with a heavy heart but for today I will not look too far into the future. Today, I have a shred of hope that I will hold onto for dear life because I've been in the dark for way too long.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Who are these "they"!?! ;)
Really, rumours are all this is... I don't think anyone can truly predict what the heck the CCAA has for a vision in terms of IA in the future.
For sure, it will continue in some form until China's social welfare system is eventually changed... I doubt they'd go the route of closing their doors completely. That just wouldn't make sense.
What is with this RDF?!?! Yuck- we need spring in a big way.